Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Now What?

Growing up, the only professional career I thought I would ever have was a career in dance. I enjoyed writing, but mostly as a hobby. I wrote my first play when I was 7 years old, about a dancer (go figure). I always did well on papers in school, but that's because I thought I was making up for lack of skill in the science and math departments. It wasn't until after I graduated from high school where I decided to pursue my hobby as a career. 

I transferred to Bloomsburg University after spending two years at Community College of Philadelphia and never looked back. Despite facing academic probation, I was determined to make it into the Mass Communications department with a journalism track. Once I became of member of BUnow, my writing took off and I could tell that I was on the right track. I was promoted to Sports Editor my second semester and moved up to become the Managing Editor the follow year. 

Being a part of BUnow has opened multiple doors and future opportunities. I was able to attend the College Media Association convention as a round table speaker on diversity in the news room, where I met a senior writer for ESPN. Wanting to break out into the sports journalism field, this was an opportunity I didn't want to miss out on. During my time as the Managing Editor, I have come to realize how much I love being a leader to others. 

Although I do not have a full time job lined up for after graduation, I hope that my love for leadership for an online publication takes me far in life. Whether it be next month or next year, I know that I will end where exactly where I belong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment