Monday, April 20, 2015

Post Grad Plans

Coming into Bloomsburg I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I started off on the PR track but quickly changed to telecom when I realized it wasn't quite up my alley. Through the help of my professors in the Mass Communications department, I have become extremely well rounded in the field of broadcast journalism. I have gained valuable experience in front of the camera as well as behind, I learned how to write a breaking news story and even how to write a screenplay. I never thought I would record and edit my own material, but Bloomsburg has given me these necessary skills for the working world. I have been able to grow with BUnow from a staff writer to the After Dark section editor and having those skills under my belt for the real world is a blessing.

The goal for me is to become a reporter, whether it's sports or celebrity entertainment, anything would be amazing.  Although I have yet to find a fitting full time job, I have made valuable connections with people that are willing to take me under their wing and help me after I graduate in May. I am currently in contact with a NBC sports reporter and she is helping to guide me in the right direction. I am also in contact with a gentleman who has worked for ESPN, had his own sports radio show, is the editor for a magazine based out of Manhattan, the list goes on and on. He has given me the opportunity to write for the magazine to help build my portfolio and I'm thrilled to take that on. The have both informed me recently that an internship should be my goal. So from now until I walk across that stage I will be on a full on hunt for that perfect summer internship. I have extreme determination and I know I will come out on top. The possibilities are endless and I'm excited to take this plunge. Stay tuned. I'm trying to make it big.

No comments:

Post a Comment