Tuesday, April 28, 2015

What I learned in Capstone is...

I went into Capstone knowing it was mainly a class about how to secure a job after school. I also went into Capstone knowing that I wanted to go to grad school. So, basically at that moment, I was only taking the class because it was required of me. Now that nearly 15 weeks have passed since then, I can say that I have taken so much more away from Capstone then I have expected. Last semester I learned about the Instructional Technology program offered here at BU and, with little idea of what else to do after graduation, decided that it was a good path for me. Although I adore Mass Comm, coming into my senior year I was no longer 100% sure of what I wanted to do with my degree. When I looked into Instructional Technology, I realized that it involved many of the skills I have already learned in my classes and internship. After that, I knew it was worthwhile to pursue my Master's Degree. Instructional Technology has the elements of writing, design, and structuring bits of information that I have worked at developing with every article I wrote and video I edited as an undergraduate student. Even though I am not going out into the working world immediately after graduation, I know that the things I learned in Capstone will follow me until I do secure the job of my dreams. Before this class, I had been required to make countless drafts of my resume and a portfolio for nearly every class. And how difficult could telling a company that you want to work for them in a cover letter be? Walking away from Capstone, I now have a strong and polished resume and I have an idea of how to write a proper and effective cover letter. It's also great that I am walking away with insight from some of those who actually hire employees and therefore know exactly what they want to see from job candidates. As my life as an undergrad ends, I'm excited to walk back on campus in a few months to study a new subject and broaden my resume. I'll always be updating my resume and fine-tuning cover letters with Capstone in the back of my mind. I had an excellent semester in this class and I wish future Capstone students luck in their job searches. My advice for anyone taking Capstone in upcoming semesters would be to take it seriously. A refined resume, a well-structured cover letter and solid interview skills could make or break your chances at a job! While you still have the chance, take advantages of the resources and people you have around you who can help you become stronger in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment